CSD Future of Our Schools Committee
FUTURE OF OUR SCHOOLS
● The purpose of this committee is to develop, analyze, evaluate all possible options for school structure and to make recommendations to the School Board and community on the best options for our school system to provide maximum support for all K-12 students.
● Identify ways to provide the best education possible for our students in an economical, cost-conscious way.
● Options must align our programs and resources with our district’s mission, vision and strategic plan goals.
● Factors to be considered in reviewing how our school programming is currently structured and whether it’s sustainable:
o Declining student population
o Declining year-round population
o High per student costs
o Reduced student learning options at DISHS
o Reduced student learning results (testing etc.)
o The substantial investment needed to revamp the high school building as well as resources needed to appropriated maintain DISES
● The committee is to create a report that contains at least 2 and no more than 3 options which clearly outline/describe viable school structures, with associated pros and cons and costs for each included for community review. The report will contain a summary of all research completed by the committee and associated findings.
● Deadline for submission of report to School Board: December 4, 2018
FUTURE OF OUR SCHOOLS COMMITTEE
Bobbi Billings (Community Member) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathleen Billings (Stonington Town Manager)
Dennis Duquette (HS Principal) email@example.com
Chris Elkington (Superintendent) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Fisher (Deer Isle Town Manager) email@example.com
Skip Greenlaw (School Board) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Hutchinson (Parent) email@example.com
Tracie Morey (Parent) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jane Osborne (School Board) email@example.com
Mary Penfold (Teacher, Parent) firstname.lastname@example.org
Terry Siebert (Teacher) email@example.com
David Witham (Construction Management Consultant) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynne Witham (Head of School) email@example.com
Kathleen Billings, Skip Greenlaw, Dave Pelletier, Terry Siebert, David Witham, Lynne Witham
Bobbi Billings, Kim Hutchinson, Jim Fisher, Jane Osborne
Kathleen Billings, Skip Greenlaw, Tracie Morey, Jane Osborne, Mary Penfold, Terry Siebert, Lynne Witham
PUBLIC MEETINGS to discuss The Future of Our Schools
Wednesday, July 25
Wednesday, August 29
Wednesday, October 3
Wednesday, November 7
All meetings will be at 6:00 pm in the high school.
Come to one meeting, come to all!
Provide input, ask questions, get questions answered and help the committee make informed, educated recommendations for our community and our students.
Committee meeting dates: July 18, August 1, September 5, October 10 and November 14. Meetings will be at 5:30 p.m. at the Maine Center for Coastal Fisheries (13 Atlantic Avenue, Stonington) conference room. All meetings are open to the public.